Calendar of Events
Holiday Christmas Cheer: December 11—14
Thursday, December 11, 2014 - Sunday, December 14, 2014
One more weekend during which Santa Claus proves what a magical old elf he is, by appearing as the guest of honor in simultaneous Christmas events taking place at various locations all around the region. Here's a listing of parades, open houses and other seasonal events to add sparkle to your season.
• Children’s Christmas Parade, Opelousas: Begins at 6 pm at the parking lot of St. Landry Catholic Church on North Main Street and will roll south through historic downtown Opelousas ending on Creswell Lane. (337) 948-2589.
• St. Charles Parish Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony, Luling: At the West Bank Bridge Park, 13825 River Road. 6 pm. (985) 785-4545.
• Living Bethlehem, Youngsville: A live nativity drama held outdoors at Sugar Mill Pond (120 Waterview Road) featuring a cast of children, live animals, and a children’s choir. 7 pm–8 pm. (337) 856-2323 or sugarmillpond.com.
• BR Downtown Christmas Parade, Baton Rouge. The 64th annual Cortana Kiwanis Downtown Christmas Parade rolls at 5:30 pm. Each year more than 70,000 people turn out to watch. Typically includes about 80 entries—a mix of marching bands, celebrities, dance troupes, non-profit organizations, and local businesses.
• The Little Drummer Boy, Lake Charles: The Lake Charles Civic Ballet puts on the percussive, popular tale. Pa-rum-pa-pum-pum! Family matinee at 11 am; evening gala begins at 6 pm. $15 adults; $10 kids. lakecharlescivicballet.com.
• Christmas Boat Parade, Delcambre: A nighttime lighted boat parade from the Delcambre Docks on East Main Street. 4 pm–9 pm. (337) 658-2422 or delcambreboatparade.com.
• Christmas Parade, New Iberia: Christmas Parade held down Main Street, with Santa Claus, marching bands and dance groups. 6:30 pm–8:30 pm. (337) 365-1428.
• Christmas on the Lake, Lake Arthur: Held at the South end of Arthur Ave. & Lake Arthur Park from noon until 9:30 pm. The celebration includes a gumbo cook-off, vendors on Main Street for Christmas shopping, a change to view the Hall of Trees display at City Hall, and a parade at 6 pm followed by fireworks. (337) 774-2211.
• Mamou Rotary Cajun Christmas Parade, Mamou: Begins at Mamou High School, runs through business district on Sixth Street, and ends back at the school. 5:30 pm. Among other things, the parade features Santa Claus pulled by egrets – the official bird of Cajun Country. (337) 224-8400.
• Zachary Christmas Parade, Zachary: Rolling with the theme: It's a Wonderful Life in Zachary: A Celebration of Christmas Movie Classics." 10 am.
• Christmas Parade, Ponchatoula: Cartoon characters on parade! Parade begins at 5 pm at Memorial Park, traveling east down Highway 22 and ending at Ponchatoula Junior High.
• Candlelight Christmas Tours at Otis House, Madisonville: Costumed interpreters will guide visitors throughout Otis House Museum from 5 pm until 8 pm covering five decades of Christmas history. $4 per person aged 13–61. All others are free. Located inside Fairview-Riverside State Park, one mile east of Madisonville on Highway 22. (985) 792-4652.
• 1st Annual Christmas Boat Lighting Parade, Patterson: The parade starts at Cajun Jack Swamp Tours at 6 pm and ends at Bridge Road in the Lower Atchafalaya. Prizes will be awarded and an awards ceremony will follow at City Hall in Patterson, where gumbo and soft drinks will be available for sale and hot chocolate will be provided free of charge for the children. Santa will also make an appearance to take pictures with the kids. (985) 395-5205. December 13—14
• Christmas on the Bayou Festival, Cottonport: On December 13, vendors will open their "doors" at 10 am; watch for fireworks at dark. The next day, a parade rolls through town starting at 1 pm. (318) 876-3485.
• Carter House Christmas Open House Plantation Style, Springfield: The public is invited to tour this plantation house, swathed in holiday decor. Santa will stop in, too. 1 pm–4 pm each day. $5/person or $10/family. 30325 Carter Cemetery Road. (225) 747-0660.
• The Singing Christmas Tree, Lafayette: Original music and drama at First Baptist Lafayette’s holiday show, set in London during WWII. Includes a spectacular light show, choir, and orchestra. More information and showtimes at (337) 593-3757. Order tickets at (800) 965-9324.
• The Nutcracker: A Film at Manship, Baton Rouge: The joy of the New York City Ballet, in a family holiday motion picture directed by Emile Ardolino. Presented by Pampo’s Dance & Swim. 2 pm at 100 Lafayette Street. (225) 344-0334 or manshiptheatre.org.
• City of Broussard Christmas Parade, Broussard: Begins at the intersection of South Morgan-Albertson Parkway. 1 pm– 5pm5. (337) 837-6681. Christmas on the Boulevard, St. Martinville: 2 pm Kiwanis Christmas Parade held on Main Street. After 5 pm mass, the Lighting of the Square will be held, followed by a Movie under the Moon event ($5 per person).
• Delcambre Main Street Christmas Parade, Delcambre: Held on Main Street from 2 pm–4 pm. (337) 519-2541.
• Christmas on the Northshore, Mandeville: St. Timothy United Methodist Choir will be performing with the Northshore Orchestra and special guest soloists today from 3 pm to 7 pm. Free. 334 Asbury Drive. (985) 626-3307.
• Children's Christmas Festival & Parade, Plaquemine: The Children's Parade begins at 2 pm followed by the lighting of the Waterfront Park Christmas decorations. Fish dinner tickets will be available for dine-in or take-out, $8. Until 5 pm. (225) 687-3116.
|The Victory Belles Ring in the Holidays|
The National WWII Museum's popular vocal trio is in a holiday mood! Come jingle all the way as the Victory Belles (and a special guest) take you to a nostalgic winter wonderland of...
|Cajun Coast Christmas|
Elegant antebellum homes decked in Victorian holiday finery. Boulevards of live oaks strung with white lights. Traditional holiday performances. Festive Christmas parades. In Morga...
|Santa's Art Shop|
For those looking to avoid the hassle of malls and department stores, but still in search of handmade art gifts this holiday season, Santa’s Art Shop at the Depot Gallery of Rive...
Generations of capital city families have built a holiday tradition around a visit to BREC's Baton Rouge Zoo to see ZooLights. This year the zoo steps up with another mile-long tra...