Calendar of Events
Holiday Christmas Cheer: December 10—13
Thursday, December 10, 2015 - Sunday, December 13, 2015
One more weekend during which Santa Claus proves what a magical old elf he is by appearing as the guest of honor in simultaneous Christmas events taking place at various locations all around the region. Here's a listing of parades, open houses, and other seasonal events to add sparkle to your season.
• Children’s Christmas Parade, Opelousas: Begins at 6 pm at the parking lot of St. Landry Catholic Church on North Main Street and will roll south through downtown Opelousas ending on Creswell Lane. (337) 948-2589.
• Christmas Tree Festival Open House, Patterson: Join the Wedell-Williams Aviation and Cypress Sawmill Museum for an old-fashioned Christmas celebration. 5:30 pm–7:30 pm. (985) 399-1271.
• Caroling in the Park, Baton Rouge: Mark your calendars for this BREC event, featuring a park-lighting ceremony, candle-lit caroling, and a host of other family-friendly activities for all ages. (225) 272-9200. 5:30 pm–8 pm at City-Brooks Park. Free!
• St. Charles Parish Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony, Luling: At the West Bank Bridge Park, 13825 River Road. 6 pm. (985) 785-4545.
• Christmas Concert at Centenary State Historic Site, Jackson, La.: Bring the entire family for a Christmas concert featuring a local musical act, which will perform a number of popular and traditional Christmas songs. Following the concert, there will be a reception at the Professor’s House where Victorian style refreshments and wassail will be served. 6:30 pm. (225) 634-7925 locally.
• Downtown Christmas Parade, Baton Rouge. The sixty-fifth annual Cortana Kiwanis Downtown Christmas Parade rolls at 5:30 pm. Each year more than 70,000 people turn out to watch. Typically includes about eighty entries—a mix of marching bands, celebrities, dance troupes, non-profit organizations, and local businesses. christmasinbr.com. Preceded by the Santa Run at 5 pm.
• Christmas Boat Parade, Delcambre: A nighttime lighted boat parade from the Delcambre Docks on East Main Street. 4 pm–9 pm. (337) 658-2422 or delcambreboatparade.com.
• Magic on Main Christmas Parade, New Iberia: Christmas music and performances, arts & crafts vendors, a "Frozen" children's costume contest, and a community tree lighting in Bouligny Plaza, alongside the Teche Area Farmer's Market, a Food Truck Festival, and daylong family-friendly activities at merchants around town. Parade rolls at 6 pm. 7:30 am–5 pm on Main Street. (337) 369-2330.
• Zachary Christmas Parade, Zachary: Rolling with the theme “Sneaux Me Something, Mister." Starts at 10 am in front of LeBlanc’s Food Stores and travels down Main Street toward downtown.
• Christmas Parade, Ponchatoula: Parade begins at 5 pm at Memorial Park, traveling east down Highway 22 and ending at Ponchatoula Junior High. ponchatoulachamber.com.
• Christmas on the Bayou Festival, Cottonport: On December 12, vendors will open their "doors" at 10 am; watch for fireworks at dark. The next day, a parade rolls through town starting at 1 pm. (318) 876-3485.
• Paragon Open House, Marksville: The popular casino hosts an open house with a brunch with Santa, face painting, treats, shopping, carolers, and more! 10 am–3 pm. (800) 946-1046.
• Christmas Boat Lighting Parade, Patterson: On December 12, the water parade starts at Cajun Jack Swamp Tours at 6 pm and ends at Bridge Road in the Lower Atchafalaya. Prizes will be awarded and an awards ceremony will follow at City Hall in Patterson. (985) 395-5205. On the 13th, a more traditional street parade will start at 2 pm down Highway 182.
• Bernice Street Christmas by Candlelight, Morgan City: Enjoy home decorations, entertainment, refreshments, and Santa. Free to the public, but a donation of a canned good or cash to be distributed to the needy through St. Mary Outreach is requested. 6 pm–9 pm. (985) 384-8003.
• Christmas at Rosedown, St. Francisville: At Rosedown Plantation SHS, guests are invited to the the property to see the main house decorated in the nineteenth-century style and hear stories of Christmas traditions at Rosedown Plantation. Activities will include marshmallow roasts and hayrides. 9 am–5 pm. (225) 635-3332.
• Delcambre Main Street Christmas Parade, Delcambre: Held on Main Street from 2 pm–4 pm. (337) 519-2541.
• Children's Christmas Festival & Parade, Plaquemine: The Children's Parade begins at 2 pm. Other activities include Santa’s arrival by boat and memorable photos with Santa, a magic show, stilt walkers, balloon twister mister, caricature artist, face painting, arts & crafts, music, and food. Until 5 pm. (225) 687-3116.
• Ladies' Holiday Sip & Shop, Woodville: Woodville shopkeepers open their doors with one thing on their minds: winnowing down your Christmas list. 3 pm–5 pm at participating businesses. Visit Woodville Main Street's Facebook page for updated list of participating businesses.
|Mystic Krewe of Mardi Paws|
Just when you thought it was over … this parade is held a week after Mardi Gras. Dogs sashay in costume along the Mandeville lakefront to the theme “Love is in the Hair!” 2 p...
|Valentine's Dinner at Oak Alley|
Make a Saturday night moonlight drive down River Road to Oak Alley plantation's restaurant, where Executive Chef Tony Reymundo will prepare a romantic candlelight dinner in celebra...